Doctor’s orders: take your medicine, take your chances. Zyban and Chantix are government approved prescribed medications to allegedly help smokers stop smoking.
Extremely important information from consumers experiencing side-effects from Zyban and Chantix was collected in this survey. Detrimental effects of these medications were reported and were a huge topic in the comments .
In question # 10 of the Vaping Truth Survey, it was asked
“What other methods did you try to stop smoking before you stopped with vaping”.
Dangers, side effects, issues with these approved prescription drugs mixing with others are just a few of the reasons they cannot be used effectively as a way to stop smoking according to experience from others.
Searching on the results JUST where it was mentioned in the comments for Chantix & Zyban, here is what you said (no edits):
Chantix & Zyban
1. Chantix send me into depression.. Awful effect for me
2. The patch caused skin irritation and nughtmares. The gum caused digestive issues. Cold turkey worked for a short time because I was pregnant. And Chantix caused horrible nausea and nightmares.
3. Chantix was awful. It messed with how I felt and caused anxiety. Gum def didn’t work. Patch burned my skin, gave me super weird dreams. Vaping, has had no negative side effects.
4. SEVERELY allergic to Chantix Few times patch worked for a short time ONLY vaping has stopped and kept me stopped from smoking.
5. My mother has tried everything listed and this year suffered a DVT. She took both Zyban and Chantix. Zyban almost worked, and then she got sick from it. Chantix made her hallucinate, and have violent night terrors, having never had any of those symptoms ever before in her life. She’s still suffering some side effects a year plus after going off the Chantix. She quit smoking with vaping, going from a pack a day to zero, as suggested by her doctor, to save her life. Since quitting she’s gone off her high blood pressure medication and lost weight.
6. nothing works as well as vaping sorry chantix has too many horrible side effects
7. I didn’t try chantix because of the serious side effects
8. Chantix Makes you nuts. It should be taken off the market
9. Nothing worked. Chantix made me want to kill myself. I daydreamed about the ways I would do it. Pharmaceuticals are not the way to go.
10. none worked and Chantix had too many side effects
11. Chantix made me irritable and mean. Cold turkey I didn’t have enough self control for. The lozenges and gum did not help with the hand to mouth feel of smoking so it wasn’t good enough either.
12. You couldn’t get me to take Chantix or Zyban at any price.
13. Chantix (prescription) made me an absolute nut, patch and inhaler didn’t work for more than a month (I would go right back to it), and cold turkey didn’t work at all.
14. Chantix gave me extreme nightmares and very “weird” thoughts during the day….
15. I can’t take drugs like Chantix or Zyban, because I am on psychiatric medications which will be negatively affected by Chantix or Zyban.
16. These items are just plain crap…don’t work. Chantix drove me crazy, in a fog with Hypnosis, still smoked with the patch, lit a smoke after chewing the gum.
17. All hopeless -‘Champix” put me in hospital with bleeding from the bowel, patches wouldn’t stick even with tape wrapped around my arm over the patch, gums and books useless, cold turkey needs too much will power when you are an addict.
18. Tried Chantix but eventually went back to cigarettes
19. Neither medications like Chantix or patches/gums worked in my case. The withdrawal syndrome was too strong or they had some unexpected secondary effects.
20. Chantix kills…or helps you kill yourself at a very high cost $
21. I stopped short of Chantix as my brother used it to stop smoking and suicided within three months.
22. Am unable to take any prescribed pills like Chantix or Zyban, so tried the patch and gum but found myself wanting a cigarette at the same time.
23. Patch was not effective. I quit smocking 2 times for 1 years with champix (french version of chantix), but 2 times I get back to smock after ~1 year
24. I actually got the Chantix script from my doctor and got it filled but in the end, I was too terrified to take it, after researching it and reading about all the suicides, etc. It went down the toilet. Vaping is MUCH MUCH SAFER.
25. That last resort was Chantix and Zyban. It caused me to hallucinate. I gave the packets back to my doctor. As with patches, no effect except dizziness, rash on my skin, and I could even have one patch on each arm and smoke at the same time. I tired the Allan Carr method, his book is a con inmy opinion, it should be banned !
26. none worked, also Chantix, Zyban terrible side affects, all other did not work.
27. I have quit before successfully with chantix started again here and there with a smoking coworker or while fishing
28. Chantix/Champix gave me other, and far worse, problems than smoking. Severe depression is a bitch!
29. Chantix actually put me in a mental ward
30. I refused to try Chantix because my Brother in Law almost commited suicide while taking Chantix! Way too many side effects
31. My last attempt before rediscovering vaping was another trial with chantix along side of recovering from larengeal surgery because of a cancer scare. I lasted about one month. I would sa I have been desperate to quit for the last 15 years, but none of those options made it possible for me until I picked up my e-cig.
32. People have killed themselves while on Chantix. It made my mental state worse, giving terrible dreams & thoughts. Patches made my arm or wherever placed ache & hurt badly. Gum is gross & just doesn’t even do anything for me
33. None of them worked like vaping did. Especially not having to deal with side effects that Chantix gave me.
34. Chantix is evil
35. After one week on chantix I got depressed and was told by the doctor to stop using it as people have committed suicide on it. Other nrt either tasted horrible or made me itch or hurt my throat. After having acupuncture I left the building and had a fag. Self help books didnt teach me anything i didn’t already know. telling smokers that they will die won’t help anybody.
36. Chantix can help, it’s the best method after vaping
37. They lied about Chantix. I will not recommend this product to anyone.
38. Chantix helped me to quit for two years. Bad idea – while taking chantix i got palpitations, vertigo feelings and blurred vision. Terrible stuff.
39. Chantix is quite literally a nightmare.
40. Chantix/Champix made me want to finish myself..
41. patch gave me skin issues and bad dreams, cold turkey works as long as you don’t get stressed out and use the stress as an excuse to start smoking again.. and the chantix made me want to cut my own throat and, scary nightmares.
42. More scared of another round of Chantix (Champix) than dying of cigarettes!
43. I believe that both Zyban and Chantix ( Champix) should be banned because of heir side effects.
44. I am allergic to corn and have celiac as well as panic disorder. NO doctor would ever even think of giving me Chantix. NO doctor wanted me to quit smoking either. It was horrific on my pain levels and threw me into a depression. I am also allergic to adhesive so no patches. No gum or anything because of the corn. Cold turkey would have killed me.
45. Chantix made me crazy and un-well!
46. chantix zyban was a project from my previous workprovider (FORD), miserably failed. Cold turkey, i dont got a backbone for that. Patch and gums just dont do it for me at all.
47. I used champix and I regret using it. I have had stomach problems ever since. I think it did something to either the lining of my stomach or changed the chemical balance somehow? I quit on it, but it made me so very sick using it. As soon as I was off the “drug” I went back to smoking within days both times.
48. Chantix had side effects and once I went off the med the desire to smoke came right back.
49. The patch resulted in a 5 week cessation, with cravings remaining. Cold turkey lasted only hours. I wanted to try Chantix or Zyban, but I have epilepsy and so both drugs are contraindicated.
50. I tried chantix twice
51. The patch irritated my skin. Nic gum tastes like crap. Tried Chantix and it gave me nightmares. Vaping is the only thing that worked for me.
52. doctor would not give me chantix because of my health problems
53. hypnosis wasn’t available in my backwoods town. I did have lazer therapy as well but it lasted less than a week. Chantix made me have really dark thoughts so I had to get off of it.
54. Alan Carr helped for a while, and another book. Patches were irritating to my skin and didn’t work. I find chewing gum in public as offensive as some people find smoking! Even the packaging of Chantix warns that it could turn me into a ticking bomb, and I thought it would be irresponsible of me to take it.
55. I just can’t quit cold turkey. (I actually enjoy smoking). The patch makes me go numb and tingly where it’s applied, i.e.: on my arm, my arm will go numb and tingly. I can’t chew gum and the inhaler made me vomit. Accupunture worked for about a week (I think it was a placebo effect) and self help books haven’t helped. Drugs are not an option for me. I have suicidal thoughts on Zyban and on Chantix I was vomitting serverly. Having an eating disorder I can’t stay on Chantix. I lost over 8lbs in the week I was on it. Very dangerous for me.
56. Chantix was the absolute worst thing I ever did the night mares were horrible I felt awful from it. I did try everything first!
57. Chantix made me sick.
58. None of them work! Cold Turkey worked for a day max. Self help books seem superficial. Chantix made me all kinds of crazy and depressed. The gum is actually not bad but very expensive and not very safe. The patch did nothing for me other than make me more addicted because I would crave the nicotine and put on a patch but still needed that oral fixation and ended up smoking sometimes.
59. suicidal on Chantix
60. You name it I tried it. I wasn’t allowed to try Chantix or Zyban though because I am bi-polar and it would have interfered with my medication.
61. Chantix drove me nuts…can’t believe the FDA approved that one. Hypnosis made me feel like everything was in slow motion. Patches and gum did nothing for the cravings.
62. I tried everything I was able to when my husband was alive because he was a non-smoker and hated me smoking. The longest period I was able to remain smoke-free was cold-turkey (5 days). I could not use gum or lozenges after a while due to side-effects and my doctor refused to prescribe Chantix or Zyban as he sees them as too dangerous. Eventually I gave up giving up as I always failed and I enjoyed smoking.
63. I tried all these and not one even came close to me putting down my cigarettes I was just adding more nicotine to my habit because I still smoked while using them. Chantix/Zyban are really scary they can make you feel agitated and depressed
64. The patch and gum made me feel ill. Cold turkey made me so irritable, family was begging for me to smoke to calm down. Chantix gave me horrible nightmares, depression and generally felt like crap.
65. I was trying…my doc would not prescribe Chantix
66. Chantix almost killed me .Yet it’s still on the market after 700 deaths.
67. My doctor suggested Chantix a few years ago, but he should have known better because I’m bipolar and schizophrenic. Had I taken Chantix, it would have worked: I WOULD BE DEAD. Attempts to quit cold turkey were viciously repetitive failures. Vaping was the only thing that worked, and with immediate success. It was my miracle, my second chance at life.
68. Tried Chantix twice, gum twice, Zyban twice, patch once and cold turkey once over the course of about 15 years.
69. None of these methods worked. Patches and smoking don’t mix. I was taken off Chantix after three days; by my doctor, because of homicidal thoughts. He was freaked.
70. Zyban caused me to have a nervous breakdown and miss 6 months of work
71. Lozenges actually DID work; I did not smoke while I was using them. But my lozenge habit got more expensive than my cigarette habit! (and that’s expensive!) and even with the lozenges, I eventually went back to smoking. The Zyban worked as long as I kept taking it. But who wants to be on pills for the rest of their life? (and have to go to the doctor every month for a refill scrip?)
72. Only Zyban workt, when i stopt after 3 months i went back smoking!
73. Did successfully stop using Zyban, but started socially smoking amazing after about 3 years of non smoking. This did lead to starting smoking again after about 3-4 months of smoking only one evening a week.
74. Zyban left me like a vegetable – ready to commit suicide. My GP hasn’t prescribed the drug, after he saw what Zyban did to me and my mental health.
75. Zyban was very effective, but I became too nervous…said my wife. It holded 20 mounths without smoking.
You can see here what the FDA charts with all “approved” methods here:
Table Data: FDA Approved Drug
You can find the final analysis of the Vaping Truth Survey here.
Have you met
my OUR friends at vapers.org.uk?
You can find me here trying to be cordial on Facebook
You can find me here being a bit more evil on Twitter
You can also find me on LinkedIn
Tobacco Harm Reduction For Life
Medical, Research, Science Professionals:
A Billion Lives
A Billion Lives
Your comments are NEVER filtered, always encouraged and welcome on this blog. There is definitely more to come.
Keep ON #Vaping On.